Pancreas Cancer Web


My name is Barbara, and I had a Whipple surgery Sept. of 2005. I had spent the summer of 2005 not feeling well. I was tired all the time and my appetite was very poor. Eventually, I was unable to eat anything without terrible indigestion. Due to the fact I was 30 lbs+ over weight, 62 years old, I thought that it was not such a bad thing not to be able to tolerate most foods. My husband hounded me to go to the Dr. to find out what the problem could be. I figured it was my gall bladder. I finally went the Friday before Labor Day. I walked into my Primary Care Dr., and she said the following thing, 'You are yellow'. Did I not notice? I had a 'stat' bilirubin test and it was off the chart. The Dr. immediately sent me to the hospital that afternoon. I protested that it was a holiday weekend, and I had a ton of company coming. She said let them barbaque their own food. I needed to find out what was going on in my body. The Dr. thought it might be a gall stone stuck in the bile duct. I went to the hospital, had an ultra sound, it showed nothing. Then the battery of tests started. At the end of 5 days and many tests later, it was discovered that I had a tumor either in the main bile duct or the head of the pancreas. I was told how lucky I was that I was a candidate for the Whipple surgery. The surgery was scheduled for 3 weeks later. I then proceeded to have 2 more opinions at very prestiges medical facilities. They all had the same conclusion. Tumor and 95% that it was cancer.

The surgery was performed Sept. 26, 2005. I tolerated the procedure very well. It was in the head of the pancreas. The one complication was the tumor had grown onto the portal vein. A vascular surgeon came in at that point and resected my portal vein. Now I had what is called 'positive margins'. I spent 9 days in the hospital. I went home with a feeding tube and various drains. I had raging diarrhea. The drains eventually came out, and the feeding tube was dicontinued after 2 weeks. The diarrhea still persisted. I started chemo in Nov. of 2005. It was Gemszar. I had 2 rounds. In Jan. of 2006, I started IMRT radiation therepy in conjunction with 5FU chemo. This lasted until March 2 of 2006. Since that time all my CT scans have come back 'clean'. I have my diarrhea under control. I am taking pancreatic enzymes. My level of energy is not what it use to be, but I am getting use to the 'new' normal. The main 'leftover' is fatigue. I am told that is caused from the chemo and radiation, plus having such a major sugery.

I recommend that anyone who has any kind of cancer seek out other people experiencing the same thing. It helps emotionally. It is a relief to know that you are not alone in your struggle.

My main caregiver was my husband who was the best ever. I could not have had a better caregiver. He has done everything. My family and friends supported us in every way possible. You can not manage this disease alone.

Posted 11/27/2006 02:39 pm by balex
E-mail Address:

Return to Main Message List

No replies on file.

*DISCLAIMER: This page is an unmoderated forum, and the opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. Patients are advised to consult their personal physicians before making any medical decisions.

Pancreas Home | Surgical | Medical | Basic Sci | Docs | Registry | FAQ | Appts | Chat

Feedback | Pathology Home | Oncology Center Home
Copyright © 2022 The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Last Modified: 11/11/2002 10:50 am