|*DISCLAIMER: This page is an unmoderated forum, and the opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. Patients are advised to consult their personal physicians before making any medical decisions. |
Go with your instinct and get a second opinion of your husband's staging and what the recommendation(s) would be for treatment? You should not feel like you are dealing with a doctor(s) who are parsing words.
Now make sure you have sent and/or bring all records of diagnosis, treatments, side effects, medications with any reactions etc. that would help in an evaluation of where he is now. Take the time to write out questions that you do not feel have been answered completely at MSK and also write down as specifically as you can what questions you want answered at Columbia. You are under a lot of stress so I would advise also bringing along a trusted family member or friend to be an ear and to even take notes on what you are being told if that will be of help to you and your husband.
Follow-along care is key in having both a PCP who will listen to any concerns about a possible recurrence or related negative impacts as well as an oncologist, especially as time moves out. Right now you need a team you have confidence will share full information with you upon which your husband and you can then make a decision about treatment. Then do not try and second guess, but just look forward and remain vigilant. You are fortunate to be in a major city with viable options closeby.
Reply to this message | Return to Main Message List